We always need good foster homes.
Won't you consider giving fostering a try?
Fostering means taking an ex-racer into your home for a short period of time (a few weeks) or until a permanent home can be found. When we receive greyhounds from the track, we have the greyhound spayed/neutered, teeth cleaned, vaccinations updated. The next step is going into foster care, and that's where we need your help. Our entire program is based upon the foster home system: the number of greyhounds we can adopt is based on how many foster homes we have.
Fostering is a rewarding experience and can provide the most critical help that GPA/TB and the hounds need. If you already have a retired racer from GPA/Tampa Bay, then your beloved hound went through the same foster program. We do not just put the greyhound in your home and leave all responsibility on you. We ask that you take the time to read the following information, as we strive to make the foster experience one that you and the hound will find both rewarding and pleasurable.
What is involved in being a foster home for Greyhound Pets of America / Tampa Bay
When Greyhounds are fostered, they begin their transition from an ex-racer to the family pet. Foster families provide the greys valuable experience with the following how-to's:
- To climb stairs
- To walk on tile or hardwood
- To walk appropriately on lead
- To adjust to a new schedule & routine
- To ride appropriately in cars, vans, SUVs
- To interact with the Public at GPA / Tampa Bay sponsored "Meet & Greets"
- That mirrors, windows and sliding glass doors are solid
- That new noises are okay
- House training
If you are interested in fostering a greyhound, contact us:
We strive to make the foster experience one that you and the greyhound will find both rewarding and pleasurable.
As a foster home, you agree to:
- Provide a safe home environment inside
- Provide food & water as directed by GPA / Tampa Bay
- Follow the GPA / Tampa Bay foster home guidelines provided to you when you receive a foster
- Help the greyhound transition from life at the track to life in a home
- Bring the fostered greyhound to GPA / Tampa Bay "Meet & Greets" twice a month
- Make the foster accessible to GPA / Tampa Bay so the fostered greyhound can be shown to potential adopters
- Provide GPA / Tampa Bay with periodic updates on the foster greyhound's transition
- Return the foster to GPA / Tampa Bay
In return, GPA / Tampa Bay agrees to provide:
- Food & medications needed by the foster greyhound
- Supplies such as a crate (if needed), collar & leash
- All medical & veterinary care for the fostered greyhound once approved by GPA / Tampa Bay
- Flea, tick & heartworm medication to the foster greyhound. We will also provide your own personal pets with monthly heartworm and monthly flea protection for the time you are fostering.
- Guidance & support to troubleshoot any concerns or issues with the foster greyhound and foster family